Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Folk School 2009


Right after Christmas this year, my two daughters and I went down to spend a week at John C. Campbell Folk School in North Carolina. Great place if you are looking for a relaxing week learning new things. (www.folkschool.org). We each took our own class.

Karen was studying advanced hammered dulcimer with Dan Landrum. He focused on using drum rudiments when playing a dulcimer - so technique, not songs. But Karen and James did learn to play a Rich Mullins song. I didn't get the full performance recorded, but here they are playing it with Dan playing his drum at the student exhibition the last day. The things in front of them are carved mantles from the woodcarving class.






Meanwhile, Janet's class was Drawing and Painting Botanicals with Watercolor Pencils taught by Rodenta Soprano. She really enjoyed her class, and created some beautiful flowers.





My class was "Realism in Felted Imagery" taught by Lisa Klakulak. We learned to make pictures using carded wool. I had several ideas in mind, but my classmates convinced me to make penguins. I made a little trail version to try out the different techniques we were learning.

Then I was going to incorporate those into a bigger piece, but I only got the main characters finished.

The reason I didn't get much of my main piece done was that on Wednesday afternoon our poor car while minding its own business in the parking lot, was totaled by an "impaired" driver. Not only did she total our car, she took out a sign (which went into her windshield), slightly damaged another car, lost her tire, drove home 2 miles on three tires, and when they came to get her, never even knew she had been in an accident.

Eventually we were able to rent a van, and got home in time to get the girls back to their schools. And now we have a new car in our garage that I am slowly getting used to driving. Hopefuly in the not too distant future, I will finish what I didn't finish there, and post it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment