Friday, January 30, 2009

PSU drawing part 2 of week 3

Well, we got our "feedback" on our first two drawings. Basically there was a very general rubric, and we were assigned points based on that - does it fill the page (sort of a stupid thing to grade from an electroncaly submitted drawing - after all, I would guess we all know how to use the crop tool!), was an above, average or below-average amount of time spent on the drawing, was the drawing neat or sloppy, etc. There is a place for comments, but no comments were offered. I received 23/25 points for the rose because there weren't enough details. The ironic thing was I had drawn a daisy first and decided not to use it because it had too many details compared to the sample illustration they provided. Oh well. I got a perfect score on the ivy drawing. But absolutely no feedback on either one.

So my feeling right now is that this web drawing class is not worth the cost of Penn State tuition. I will stick it out through the semester - sitting down and drawing on a regular basis will still help my skills. But I won't count on learning a lot from the instructor.

For our next assignment, we were to use pen and ink and show shading with cross-hatching. I started with a drawing of our soap dispenser but then decided that it didn't show enouh shading. The instructions had suggested a bowl of fruit, so I thought I'd try that, too. That's the one I ended up submitting. But I still like the frogs...

No comments:

Post a Comment